40 x 51 mm MV Ammunition – Door Breaching Grenade
A 40mm grenade designed for stand-off breaching which improves both tactical and logistical operations. Current 40mm breaching grenades are energetically inefficient, limit operational effectiveness, and present a higher risk than necessary to people in the vicinity of the target. A new design from Energetics Technology Ltd overcomes these limitations and also improves both safety and logistics. (Press Release)
Typical 40mm breaching grenades suffer from design flaws which limit effectiveness. Current designs are inefficient as the explosive blast overpressure is not directed towards the target. This results in an increased Net Explosive Quantity (NEQ) to obtain the desired effect and in turn makes the grenade more hazardous to use and handle. This increase in NEQ further results in the breaching team needing to adopt an unnecessary additional stand-off distance (typically +15m). Current designs are typically based on impact for initiation. This method creates a significant fragmentation hazard both to the breaching team and to the people behind the target which is exacerbated by the higher NEQ.
The unique design of the stand-off breaching grenade is protected under GB Patent 2570534B with international patent applications pending (AU2018334105A1, EP18765962A, NZ762154A and Energetics Technology’s MV propulsion system.
- Increased Tactical Advantage – improved directional control of the overpressure lowers the risk to the breaching team and reduces their stand-off distance.
- Reduced Collateral Damage – the design significantly reduces the risk of fragmentation and behind target effects.
- Increased Breaching Capability – the overpressure generated is sufficient to deform a variety of door materials including multi-lock steel doors.
- Safer / Easier Logistics – reduced NEQ gives inherent safety benefits and allows for easier shipping / storage.
Stand-off Breaching Grenade Technology
Energetics Technology Ltd supply a wide range of devices for specialist military users. (The specifications for this product can be seem in the table below.) This new technology addresses the challenges facing breaching teams with three key design features.
- The design of the explosive charge
- How the grenade or device is initiated
- The fusing of the grenade
The result is a reduction of the NEQ by approximately half while maintaining the same breaching capability displayed by conventional 40mm rounds. The design focuses blast overpressure towards the target to deform the door structure, as opposed to conventional impact detonation methods. The result is a reduction in target fragmentation, reduced omnidirectional overpressure and increased operational effectiveness, even against steel doors.
|Calibre||40 x 51 mm *|
|Overall Length||160 mm|
|Total Weight||Approx 280g|
|Explosive filling||HMX based|
|Initiation system||Fuze, Base 0431. (spin and setback arming)|
|Safe Arming Distance||12-15 m|
|Accuracy at 40m||150 mm x 150 mm|
|Fragmentation||No penetrating fragmentation recorded behind target door. No penetrating fragmentation recorded towards firer **|
|Service temperature||-46 / +63°C|
|Safety temperature||-46 / +63°C|
|*compatible with 40x46mm weapons||**Fragmentation recorded using DSTL skin packs. The appearance of U.S.Dept of Defence (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.|
Medium Velocity AMMUNITION
(40mm) 40 x 51 mm medium velocity ammunition is a new system that allows greater firing distances and improved accuracy over traditional low velocity ammunition. Energetics Technology’s unique propulsion system ensures surprisingly low levels of recoil and breach pressure, and has been extensively tested in multi-shot weapons such as the XRGL40 as well as under-barrel launchers.
40 x 51mm ammunition is available in a whole suite of natures as a direct replacement wherever low velocity ammunition falls short.
• Unique design allows our 40 x 51mm ammunition to be used in both single and multi-shot weapons systems.
• Ammunition achieves ranges of 850m for area effects and accurate target marking.
• It provides superior accuracy at short ranges with a flatter trajectory.
• With a 220g projectile and low recoil forces (<60J) real effects can be delivered to target.
• The 40mm munitions extraordinary performance is enabled by high precision machining,
materials control and manufacture.
• Developed with support from weapon manufacturers (Rippel Effect Pty)
• Customised versions can be quickly developed, manufactured and range tested at Energetics Technology’s UK MOD’s approved facility.
|850 Metre Range||Training||High Explosive||Parachute Illuminating||Target Marker|
|Measurements:||40 x 130 mm (max)||40 x 135 mm (max)||40 x 135 mm (max)||40 x 130 mm (max)|
|Net explosive content:||20 gs (max)||75 - 95 gs||80 gs||95-100 gs|
|Weight of cartridge:||approx. . 280 gs||approx. . 280 gs||approx. . 280 gs||approx. . 280 gs|
|Weight of projectile approx.||220 gs||220 gs||205 gs||220 gs|
|Velocity V4 approx.||110 m/s||110 m/s||110 m/s||110 m/s|
|Chamber Pressure||170 bar (nominal)||170 bar (nominal)||170 bar (nominal)||170 bar (nominal)|
|Warranty (in original packaging)||3 years||3 years||3 years||3 years|
|Service Life (in original packaging)||5 years||5 years||5 years||5 years|